That I will be getting a non-affliction off spec.
YES I KNOW!
Trust me I have been depressed ever since it was decided.
Now begins the research.
I almost didn’t even know where to start. Yes I know EJ is the *place* to go for information on raiding specs. Trust me I know all about it. The problem is I can’t stand EJ. The posts are FILLED with their math proofs. While I like math and enjoy it, I don’t even come close to liking it enough to be able to read those posts without wanting to gouge my eyes out. So I avoided going there immediately.
The other problem I have with EJ is it is tough to find the basics. For example, if you just want to know what the standard rotation is, you would have to wade through pages upon pages of math and top tier gear choices to maybe find the rotation you are supposed to use.
I already know where to get the specs (there are awesome raiders in Slice’s guild that have a demo raiding spec I can check out), I just needed the rotation.
Several months back (before I left SR) I had been told to start looking into a demo spec for the fights that needed more burst. I went to twitter and asked there. I got a TON of info and I was so very grateful for it. I didn’t copy and paste it all into an email or anything because you can always go back and get your old tweets.
Unless you know, Twitter decides to crap out on you.
Twitter no longer shows when people have replied to me. In fact I have exactly 5 replies on twitter. 3 of which are from September of last year, and the other 2 are from July of this year. All 5 of them are completely worthless.
All of the lovely Demo lock info that I was given is now gone. Because I had already asked once, I didn’t want to even go there and ask again. Mostly because twitter doesn’t show any replies to me. This means even if people gave me the information a second time, I wouldn’t be able to see it.
So yesterday when my boss left I started searching.
I started over at Killing Em Slowly because I know Ful has given me great advice in the past and he has put up a sidebar with the basic info on all the different specs. I checked out his demo post. While it was awesome (as per usual with his posts) it wasn’t what I needed. He says that he doesn’t raid Demo. He just uses it for BGs and 5 mans.
Ok, so no good, need to find something else.
I decided to brave EJ.
I know, I know >.>
So after about 20 mins of searching I finally found the *new* thread. Where I got a ton of info that wasn’t fully bogged down with math. Here is the link just on the off chance that someone else facing my situation wants to see where I got my info from. The guy who wrote this post did an excellent job. Mad props to him!
EJ says this about what spec to use:
META / RUIN
Utility: Target 5% crit debuff, Raid spell power Buff
Other: 30 yards range, No spell pushback reduction, No threat reduction
This is the most common and best performing Demonology talent spec. It provides more utility than any of the other Warlock specs any higher DPS than any of the other demonology specs. In addition, the spell power buff provided by this talentspec is far more powerful then any of the alternatives. Through seed of corruption and sometimes immolation aura, this spec also does more AoE DPS than either affliction or destruction. This thread and it’s data is primarily focused on this talent spec, it produces significantly higher DPS than the others and is the only truly valid talent spec in end-game raiding.
This is what he says about glyphs:
In this section I will list the DPS value of each glyph for each talent spec. The 3 best glyphs will be highlighted. Simulationcraft was used to determine these numbers, high end ICC Heroic gear was used as a base.
00/56/15 00/41/30 00/40/31 Conflagrate 0 0 844 Corruption 47 24 15 Felguard 302 237 0 Immolate 93 81 186 Imp 0 0 211 Incinerate 59 227 195 Life Tap * 333 127 133 Metamorphosis 65 0 0 Quick Decay 159 171 142 Shadow Bolt 27 0 0
Note on Glyph of Life Tap: The value of this glyph greatly depends on the amount of spirit on your gear, all specs scale slightly better (regardless of glyphs) with crit than spirit, however due to demonic pact; the meta/ruin profile prioritizes spirit as the raid DPS gain is far more significant than the personal DPS lost (Roughly 10 times more significant). If you do have very high spirit, then glyph of life tap may be viable for the other talent specs as well.
So ok those are the basics down. Easy enough. Now to find the rotation . . .
Meta Ruin, 00/56/15
Life Tap If the Glyph of Life Tap buff is not active Shadow Bolt If the target is not currently afflicted by the Shadow Mastery debuff Immolate If your target does not have immolate active or the duration of your immolate on the target is shorter than the cast time of immolate. Curse of Doom If this spell is off cooldown and your target will not die within the next 60 seconds Soul Fire If Decimation and Molten core are both active. Corruption If this debuff is not currently active on your target Soul Fire If Decimation is active Incinerate If Molten Core is active Life Tap If your mana is low or the time remaining on your glyph of Life Tap buff is low. Shadow Bolt If none of the above
- Demonic Empowerment, Use it on cooldown, do not wait for your Felguard’s demonic frenzy to stack or such.
- Metamorphosis, Use this ability as frequently as possible, thus if you can use it 3 times in a particular fight- use it 3 times in that fight. So long as you’re using it as many times as you can, it can be helpful to synchronize this with other events; for example if there’s about 2 minutes left in a fight and your target is currently at 40%, then wait for your target to drop to 35% before using metamorphosis. Using Metamorphosis well requires good knowledge of an encounter, if you do not have that simply use it on cooldown.
- Immolation Aura, You can use this ability once per Metamorphosis, it can be worth while to try fish for procs to go along with this high damage ability- for example you could try wait until the 4pc Tier 10 bonus procs for 10% more damage, or you could wait a few seconds until adds spawn- so long as you use immolation aura before there’s less time remaining on metamorphosis than the duration of immolation aura you’re not missing out on any damage. Note that if Metamorphosis runs out while immolation aura is still active, immolation aura will also cancel itself.
- Trinkets, If you have use trinkets, it’s generally a good idea to use them on cooldown. You may however want to consider synchronizing your trinkets with metamorphosis for 20% extra damage while you use your trinket.
- Potion, Since you can only use 1 potion during combat (and 1 pre-potion before combat starts), you should try use your potion during either heroism/bloodlust or if you pre-potted and your guild uses early heroism/bloodlust, use your in-combat potion during metamorphosis+decimation
Ok so yeah, lots and lots of stuff to absorb.
One thing that I am happy about is I really won’t have to change my gear all that much. I do lose out on the 3% hit that affliction gets so I need to get a bunch more hit. I managed to snag some bracers on Tuesday that have haste and hit on them verses the crit ones I have equipped. I lose a bunch of spellpower by switching them out so I haven’t changed over. I need to go through my options and see what I can do about getting me some more hit. I do have the hit trinket, but it might just be smarter to re-gem.
Here is my armory link if anyone wants to check her out and give me some ideas.
Looks like I wont be rocking out to Dragon Age this weekend :(
PS – I totally flaked out on my 1 year blog anniversary. My first post was 09/14/09. Wow I fail. Oh well , happy anniversary to me! :D