Sorak was kind enough to complete the meme for us and I have his replies here:
1. What is the name, class, and spec of your primary healer?
Sorak, shaman, resto spec
2. What is your primary group healing environment? (i.e. raids, pvp, 5 mans)
5 mans and 10 man raids
3. What is your favorite healing spell for your class and why?
Chain heal, it’s very efficient provided you cast it in an ideal situation (when people stack or are clustered). I also like Healing Rain, same conditions as the prior (see a pattern developing here?)
4. What healing spell do you use least for your class and why?
Unleash Elements, it’s fairly new in my healing career. I forget to use it because I’ve swapped mains to my DK and I don’t get to heal as much on Sorak anymore. It’s a good spell, can be used as a bomb heal in conjunction w/ Greater Healing Wave or make my Chain heal hit for more. Another reason is the CD is quite long on it, I believe 15 seconds.
5. What do you feel is the biggest strength of your healing class and why?
Totems, we can fill in a lot of buffs needed to round out a well balanced raid group.
6. What do you feel is the biggest weakness of your healing class and why?
Movement. I can’t speak for other Resto Shams, but I never did very well with it. We only have one instant heal (Riptide, hits for a small amount and then applies a semi long HoT). More importantly after you cast Riptide, I get a buff that lowers the casting time on Greater Healing Wave and Lesser Healing wave to 1.5 seconds, for the next two casts of said spells.
We have a 2 min CD ability you learn at 85 called Spirit Walkers Grace which allows you to move and cast for 15 seconds. Again, only being able to cast on the move every 2 minutes or so isn’t what I’d consider good!
8. What healing class do you enjoy healing with most and why?
I enjoy healing with classes that can mitigate damage, since I’m more of a brute force healer in 10′s. We’re not as blunt of a healer as a Holy Paladin but we’re nowhere near on the level of a Resto Druid or old school Disc priest for mitigation.
9. What healing class do you enjoy healing with least and why?
Another blunt healing class. Not much variety in our heals doesn’t make up for a good raid composition.
10. What is your worst habit as a healer?
I get tunnel vision in raids, too much staring at grid to pay attention to what everyone else is doing. Perhaps my worst habit is too much casting Lightning Bolt to regain mana back from Telluric Currents. C’mon, you know restoring 2k mana is more important than keeping party members alive, especially during Chimeraon!!
In 5 mans my worst habit is pulling mobs when the tank is too slow (ie mostly every pug), I’m a gogogogogo kind of person, and If I’m pulling as the healer, the tank is not moving fast enough.
11. What is your biggest pet peeve in a group environment while healing?
STACK UP BITCHES! Every successful raid plays to their raid comps strong points, when I’m healing, my most efficient heals require people to stack up! We have a lot of bad ranged members (the most notorious one starts with an L, and ends in yssianna). As soon as he/she (the verdict is still out there about a voice over program) get into range to pew pew, he/she stops and well………pew pews.
See the pic below for my Spirit Link Totem macro
12. Do you feel that your class/spec is well balanced with other healers for PvE healing?
Now that Resto Sham’s finally have a raid CD we can use to mitigate damage I believe we should be on par with other healers. We won’t be top heals, but at least we can contribute raid damage mitigation, hell even fury wars received something like that before Resto Sham’s did!
13. What tools do you use to evaluate your own performance as a healer?
Did we down the boss? Recount and World of Logs
14. What do you think is the biggest misconception people have about your healing class?
15. What do you feel is the most difficult thing for new healers of your class to learn?
As a Resto Sham, always keep Riptide on CD. It helps keep your casting time down to a minimum. Punish those that don’t stack, negative reinforcement is the way to go! Some ranged dps (the most notorious one starts with an L, and ends in yssianna) feel like they can survive on their own w/o any help from healers, he/she/they should be thankful I don’t heal much anymore!
Keep up Earthliving Weapon on at all times, keep Earthshield up on MT / OT or Zugzuug.
Be aggressive w/ Mana Tide totem, it’s a short CD, take advantage of it!
16. If someone were to try to evaluate your performance as a healer via recount, what sort of patterns would they see (i.e. lots of overhealing, low healing output, etc)?
Too much Lightning bolt spam and not enough casting of Unleash Elements. In Cata I don’t tend to over heal as much, I think my healing output is OK, but I’ll let others determine that.
17. Haste or Crit and why?
Haste to lower your GCD down to 1 sec, and get an additional tick of Riptide on your target. I know crit is our lowest stat weight, but crit does help. When you crit a direct heal, you get mana back from water shield, you also proc Ancestral Healing and Awakening.
Ancestral Healing: reduces physical damage by 10% for 15 seconds
Ancestral Awakening: heals the lowest percentage health in the party / raid for 30% of the original heal.
18. What healing class do you feel you understand least?
All of them except for a Resto Sham. I’ve never played another healing class o I don’t know the mechanics to play one well. I happen to be lucky and play w/ pro healers. They do their job well and I leave it at that.
19. What add-ons or macros do you use, if any, to aid you in healing?
In Wrath I’ve used grid, I’ve been using the default raid UI for a while, just a few days ago I swapped to Vuhdo. Totem timers, does exactly what you think it does. Power Auras to keep track of my CD’s.
I’ve always used mouse over macros since I’ve started healing, even though you can configure Vuhdo to do mouse clicks, I’d rather not rely on a mouse or addon like someone I know (starts with an L, and ends in yssianna)